Ingredients (serves 2)
4 large ripe bananas
60g raw coconut flour
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
4 medium eggs
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp mapple syrup
240g natural almond butter
8 cups of raspberries
- Skin the bananas. Weigh out 350g and mash until smooth. Reserve the leftover banana to decorate the top of the bread.
- Preheat oven to fan 180ºC and line a loaf tin (12cmx23cm/900g) with baking parchment.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together, then stir in the eggs, mashed banana and the rest of the wet ingredients using only ½ tbsp maple syrup and mix until smooth. Alternatively throw everything into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the lined loaf tin. Decorate the top with slices of reserved banana and drizzle with the remaining ½ tbsp of maple syrup.
- Bake at 180ºC for 60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack completely before turning out of the tin.
Enjoy with a natural almond butter and raspberries.
- Banana is source of potassium which is great for the nerve, muscle & heart. It is a fructo-oligosaccharide food so feeds the beneficial bacteria in our gut (prebiotics).
- Cinnamon is a sedative for smooth muscle, circulatory stimulant, digestant, anticonvulsant, diuretic, antibiotic and has blood sugar lowering properties.
- Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides which is a type of saturated fat that is absorbed and immediately transported to the liver for energy rather than fat storage. Therefore, it is generally safe to use moderate amounts of coconut oil in cooking.
- Raspberries should be enjoyed in summer days! They contain high levels of anthocyanins, which are thought to be effective in bacterial infections and neurological disease. They are high in fibre, iron, potassium and vitamins A and C.
- Apple cider vinegar has a probiotic effect.
Recipe inspired by Hemsley + Hemsley